Friday, July 24, 2009

Kumon Training in Chicago














As some of you may know, I "retired" from teaching this year so I can be home with Mia. I am so happy about this! However, I have been pursuing another "career" that I haven't talked a lot about yet. As of October 2009, I will be the new owner of the Kumon Math and Reading Center. I am so excited! I have been working on this for about a year. What's even more great, is that it's only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-8:00. So that means I can still work, earn an income, help children, AND stay home with Mia during the day! It's the best of both worlds. Some of you may not know what Kumon is. It is relatively new to me as well. You could compare it to Sylvan, or Huntington....but the method of learning is way different.
I'll write more about my Kumon adventures later, but for right now, I'm just posting about my trip to training in Chicago last week. It was SO SO SO hard leaving Mia for the first time, but we survived. Luckily, Kelley hasn't started working yet with his new teaching job (Yea!!!!) so he was able to be home with her all week. I know he had to be very tired by the time I got home. I left on a Monday and did not return until Friday night. It seemed like forever. While I was getting ready the day that I left, Kelley got Mia ready and brought her to me in the bedroom. Her new onesie made me cry. It said, "Mommy's girl". OOOOOhhh it was so brutal leaving she and Kelley at the airport. I cried for like an hour while I waited to fly out. But, like I said, we survived, I am home, and all is well! I learned so much at training! It made me even more excited about my Center!






Here are just a couple of Chicago pics. I was so busy that I didn't take hardly ANY pictures!

This was my cab driver, Daniel. (He pronounced it like "Danielle".) He drove me from O'Hare to my hotel, and scheduled to pick me up on the last day to drive me back to the airport. Although he made me nervous because he rarely looked at the road while he was driving, he was so hilarious. He opened his glovebox to show me all the things people leave behind in cabs. This was some woman's pair of red glasses. Mind you, he's driving on the freeway, looking AT me, with a pair of someone else's glasses on. Need I say more? I was sweating and biting my nails!


My friends I made in training (Antonio-New York, Lisa-Boston, and Suzette-Los Angeles). I had so much fun with these guys during our training week!

2 comments:

  1. okay, hilarious about the cab driver! LOL. To answer your question...the white frames around my pictures on my blog are automatically done by blogspot.com. Good luck with Kumon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your Start-Up training! I know it must have been hard to leave your beautiful baby for several days, but I do hope you know that you are about to begin an amazing Kumon adventure. I'm an Instructor in New Mexico, and I love my "job" every day :-)

    Best of luck to you!
    ~~~Anne

    ReplyDelete