It was one year, since we lost my Papa on March 25th, 2010. I am not going to write much right now about my feelings throughout that day, it was more difficult than I had thought. I miss him so much. We decided to keep my Meme busy that day, so we took her to eat at her favorite place, The Wonderful World of Cooking...just us girls. We myself and Mia, my sister, my mom, my aunt, my two cousins, and Meme. It was a nice day. After we ate, Meme asked us to share our favorite memories of our Papa. I had told myself I wasn't going to cry, but....I did. It's just so hard to share memories of someone you loved so much, knowing you can't make anymore. But it was nice, and we were all reminded of certain things he had done, that we had forgotten about. My memory, was of when we would travel to Colorado, caravaning in our campers, pulling over on roadside parks to make sandwiches and walk the dogs. Papa and Daddy would study maps over our next haul over a bag of cheetos and a pimento cheese sandwhich. It's just a simple memory, but some of my favorite times spent with him. The early morning fishing trips, where there would be a limit, and Papa would help me catch my fish, then allow me to "give them back to him" once I reached my limit, so I could continue fishing. He was an amazing grandfather, and he is so deeply missed, everyday.
Here are some pictures from the cemetary.
This next one is my sweet uncle, Britt Allen....The Coolest "Fishin' Buddy" Ever!
This one is my baby cousin, Jeffery, that I never got to meet. He went home to be with the Lord when he was just a baby, before I born.
We each put a flower on Papa's grave. This was Mia putting in her flower.
I am so blessed that Papa got to see Mia, just heartbroken that he isn't getting to see her grow up.
My mom and sister, placing their flowers.
Meme said a few things to him. That was hard.
I can' t imagine how Meme must feel, coming here to visit a grandbaby, a son, and a husband. She is the strongest and most beautiful woman I know!
The only humor that I can add to the day, is that I kept trying to keep Mia from walking ON his grave. Right at the end, when things were getting hard for all of us, Mia ran over and fell right on top of Papa's grave, and got all muddy! I chuckled, thinking that I'm sure Papa was thinking, "Yep! That's my grandaughter!"
The quiet ride home...
Melissa, my sweet daughter. These are very precious pictures to me as well. I just now found the post on your blog. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us all. What a wonderfully strong family we have. And, such sweet, SWEET memories for us all about my dear Daddy. I love you, Sweety.
ReplyDelete