Saturday, July 16, 2011

Story Hour at the Public Library

When I was little, one thing that my mother did with my sister and I was take us on frequent trips to the public library. During the summers, she took us to the story-hours, then let us spend hours picking out new books to check out. During the school year, if my sister or I had any after-school activities, we would go to the library...just to kill time. (We lived 20 minutes from town, so going home was not always a choice in between activities.) What better of an example could my mother have set? She instilled in me at an early age a love for books and reading, the joys of browing quietly in a library, and the enjoyment of doing something that is FREE! Now it's my turn! Too often, when I get in a book mood, Mia and I take trips to our local Books A Million...and I ALWAYS wind up walking out with a new book for each of us. Now, this is nice, and we both have libraries that are quite extensive...but too often I forget to just take advantage of what is free. With this summer being as hot as it is, and Mia and I being stuck home and indoors way too much, I am using the library as one of our weekly visits.

Here is Mia at story hour. The lady who was doing the reading was giving out frog stamps to all of the children as they came in the door. I just think it's the cutest thing EVER how proud Mia was of her stamp, and how carefully she treated her hand with the treasured frog stamped on it! :)




I just love her sweet little hands in these pictures.




Observing all of the other children...





Listening to the storyteller...



After music, stories, and a quick movie, the children were given time to do activities. Mia really enjoyed this part!






















Not the best quality of pictures, since she was constantly in motion, and I was mostly using my phone...but I wanted to capture her enjoying all of the different activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment