Emma June- A very special Great Aunt
Mia and I went on a trip with my dad to Burnet, Tx to visit my Granny, Aunt June, Aunt Vicki and Uncle Jimmy. It was a very bittersweet trip for me. My Granny and June were roommates in Richardson, Tx my whole life. My grandfather passed away before I was born, and my Aunt June never married. So, as long as I can remember, they lived together.
June is such a special little person....she has a mental disability that gives her the mindset of a 10 year old. When I was little, my sister and I would go spend a week here or there with Granny and June. June was always like another little friend who loved to play Go Fish, Old Maid, Monopoly, and dress up cabbage patch dolls. She had her own doll that she dressed every day, and put pjs on every night. It was like her little child. It was sort of sad as my sister and I got older, because we began to outgrow June, but we always did our best to play games with her, and dress up dolls. She would even put on a swimsuit, and play in the sprinklers and sit in big buckets of water with us when we were really little. She was SO fun!
Granny was a very special and neat granny with fire red hair, and always had a bandana looped through her belt loops of her cute jeans. Her wardrobe was fabulous! She was a very stylin' Granny! Her house always felt like an adult sized doll house with fun things everywhere. Many fond memories were spent with Granny and June. Well, Granny now has alzeimers, and June is completely deaf, but refuses a hearing aid. My Aunt moved them to Burnet, TX with her, and Granny and June now live together in the same nursing home. I'll admit, it breaks my heart that my visits to Burnet to see them have been few and far between these last few years. Mia Evelynn was named after my Granny, Doris Evelyn. I have been thinking a lot lately that I had better get Mia up there to meet Granny, so that I could make sure I have pictures with Mia and her namesake.
It was a very hard weekend, because Granny no longer knows who any of us are. It was so heartbreaking to sit down with her and try to explain to her that Mia was her great grandaughter and was named after her....and to see how confused she looked, but I am so over-joyed to have the priceless pictures with the two Evelynn's :)
I could go on and on and type for days about my love for Granny and June, but it's in my heart forever, and that's what's most important.
Here is June, myself and Mia. She was so funny, she couldn't hear a thing because she's too stubborn to wear a hearing aide, so we wrote notes to her on a piece of paper. One of June's favorite things is getting new t-shirts, so she was proud to be showing off her new Texas t-shirt to us.
Poor tired, tired baby. She was such a trooper being in the car for 5 hours.
Here we are with my sweet Granny. What broke my heart the most, was that I almost walked past her table because I did not recognize her. I had not ever seen her without her beautifully (dyed) red hair. It was so good to see her, and I loved how Mia was touching her arm.
My Daddy and his sweet Mother.
I sat Mia on the table in front of my dad to grab a picture, and Granny was NOT happy with us for doing that. I think it scared her. So we removed her very quickly. : )
After our visit with Granny and June (aka The Golden Girls), we headed to my Aunt Vicki and Uncle Jimmy's Ranch. It's always so fun to visit there and see all of the animals. Their ranch is named after the ranch that my father and Vicki grew up on.
This sweet baby in the picture above and below is named Colassal (sp?). Can you guess why??
Don't worry, Mia only rode on my lap through the drive through the property to their house. She thought it was super cool to be able to sit in Mommy's lap and look at the animals out the window! I had a good hold of her!
Beautiful Land!
One of the sweet "Guard Doggies"
Our family grows big cats! Haha!
The goats are always so precious and fun to watch and pet!
The picture above looks sort of like he is stuck, but I had taken this picture because he was scratching his head on a post! Haha!
Below is Mia's first pics in a hotel room. Yes, I know...very sad. We haven't gone anywhere overnight since she was born. She slept like a little rock in her pack and play!
Good Morning Miss Sunshine!
Ok, so growing up on Sesame Street, it dawned on me when it came on the television, that Mia has never seen it! Gasp!!! What kind of mother am I? Honestly, I have never seen it on any of our channels. I'm going to have to investigate that. I thought it was sweet to see how intrigued she was with the muppets, and thinking back on how that show had the same effect on me.
Pepaw time on the floor while Mommy gets her act together to leave.
This next picture is of a place that I thought just looked really neat, that I didn't even go into. It was in Glen Rose,Tx.
Wish I worked there!!!
These next few are of a very tired Mia trying to play to pass the time in the car. She was such a good girl, and Pepaw got a dose of what it feels like to have little ones in the car again. I wanted to sit up front with him and visit, and every time Mia would start to whine, he would almost "order" me to get in the back with her so she would feel happy and not lonely. Sweet Pepaw...
I hung a blanket up on the window to keep the sun out of her eyes, she wasn't quite sure what to think of it...
No comments:
Post a Comment